Last night was Optimist Theatres’ first rehearsal for Twelfth Night. What a JOY!
As we got to know each other in this first gathering, some fun stuff came up and I’m going to share…
- Not only does Milwaukees’ free Shakespeare in the Park get to revel in her directing talents before she heads to Utah Shakespeare, but this is the largest cast that Ms. Laura Gordon has ever directed.
- We have a name for our ensemble! Last year, they were “The Tribe”. This year, they are (drum roll….) “The Nocturnes”.
- Todd “Some Men Are Born Great” Denning has done Twelfth Night 6 other times but this is his first as Malvolio. We WIN!
- The live music score being composed by TJ Hull is drawing from heavily from the Postmodern Era. Oooo, I can’t wait to hear what he comes up with.
- Marcy “A Horse of That Color” Kearns was an English Major and is almost as fascinated by the kind of paper she’d write about Twelfth Night as she is about playing Maria. ALMOST.
There’s much more in store, but I suppose we should keep some things a surprise… Oh! But I so want to tell you about the beautiful costume drawings done by Ms. Leslie Vaglica! And the set design by Mr. Steve Barnes! No… I must be strong.
In the meantime, enjoy the album of first rehearsal photos on the Optimist Theatre Facebook page.
Fittingly, the evening was concluded by Mr. Tom Reed, channeling Mr. Jim Pickering:
“Holy *&^%, Mr. Willy Snake&*^%”.
Susan Scot Fry